Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Being Black in the Trump Era in America and Worldwide

     As soon as Trump was a viable presidential candidate in October, I started noticing some changes going on. People that I thought I knew and we were on good terms with, hurried away or avoided me when I wanted to greet them. This never had happened before. Strangers would look at me funny or instantly judge me. My own neighbors, who I had known for years, started thinking I really wanted to steal their car. Despite the fact of living in a middle income house, with a car of my own. Basically, people stopped using rational sense and became hypnotized by Trump's rhetoric.
     Once Trump was in office, it got even worse. Public places that used to have a good amount of blacks, hispanics, and minorities soon looked as if it was 1950, all white. And guess what happens when I show up? Everyone acts like I'm a wild dog hell bent on devouring them. And I know it isn't just isolated incidents either, just listen to recently released music on YouTube. You will find a good deal of the new releases pertaining to racism and overcoming people's negative perceptions.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-9-kyTW8ZkZNDHQJ6FgpwQ
     Unfortunately, that's just one side of what is to come. Just yesterday, Trump's new supreme court judge, Neil Gorsuch started hearing cases. He has received lots of raised eyebrows, especially from minority communities for his "originalist" stance. That is a code word for "white America". By him coming in, it also re calibrates the supreme court 5-4, with conservatives having an advantage. That means it will be easier to reinforce legislature, such as ones that reverse police reforms or ones that takes away funding for underdeveloped communities.
     If all this is going on why isn't anybody saying anything? That is what I would like to know. All I can tell you is that dark days are ahead for blacks, and non-whites for that matter. Expect more Trevyan Martin and Central Park Five stories. Guess who was involved with the latter? http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/06/politics/reality-check-donald-trump-central-park-5/  It's up to you to either decide to tough it out and essentially be seen and treated as a sub-human, or go to somewhere where you can start fresh without sticking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment